May 30, Y2K.
MicroPress is happy to announce immediate availability of VTeX version 7.
VTeX 7 is the culmination of more than a year of development; the new
distribution includes both enhancements and major new components.
The new features include:
- New Mode
- In addition to the existing DVI, PDF, and HTML modes, VTeX now features
direct PostScript (PS) mode. With the PS mode you can generate
PostScript from TeX in a quick one-pass way, bypassing the DVI's.
Extras include inclusion of many bitmapped format, EPS, /pdfmark support,
and even optional PS->PS distillation (for smaller and verified PostScript
output). GeX and GeXX plugins are fully supported.
- The Typesetter
- Other changes in the VTeX typesetter involve improvements in the PDF compilation,
and removal of the last limitations (hyphenation table sizes).
- Business Chart Plugin
- New Business Chart Plugin allows to easily enhance your documents
with a variety of charts: bars, lines, donuts, ...
- Function Plot Plugin and Visual Interface
- Easily add plots based on functional representations? Would like to
plot sin(x)^2+cos(x)^2? Just enter the expression inside the TeX
gradients and shadings, draw
contour maps and
- GeX enhancements
- Multiple GeX enhancements lead to tighter code; better diagnostics
allows to pinpoint common errors in included PostScript code; among
new features is the Level II support and the ability to switch the GeX interpreter dynamically
between the Level I and II PostScript.
- Animated GIF's
- Pdf backend now supports Animated GIF inclusion.
- The IDE
- Substantial number of improvements in the IDE, in particular
the Project Manager; integrated previewing of the
New File Wizard;
- The Editor
- Enhancements include include Drag-and-Drop for blocks,
for word wrap and paragraph reformatting.
- The Dvi Reader
- Major rewrite of the DVI Reader program; a large number of new
options added. Among the many changes, the DVI Reader now allows to drag
the image, supports Fit Page and Fit Width, has measurement rules,
GoBack and GoForward buttons, and works with the Windows 2000 Type1 rasterizer.
- Other Programs
- Most of other utility components and Visual Tools have been
improvements; among the new improved programs are the Visual Equation editor,
the \chardef Wizard,
the Font Commander, and
AliasPS Type1 support Wizard.
- New improved releases of
BT, and some other families.
[The EC set has been made darker for better PDF readability; it
now uses the standard es-zet shape.]
- More Type1 fonts
- Full set of
LA fonts (331) for Cyrillic typesetting makes creation
of PDF's in Russian (and other Cyrillic languages) easy. Circ package
and the full set of Type1 fonts is added.
- More IF4 fonts
- All of EC and the most common PSNFSS fonts are now supplied in the
IF4 format as well [for use in the DVI and HTML modes.]
- Improved setup files
- Improved Setup files for LaTeX2E include full support for the new
font families (TM 1.2, HV 1.2). The Font Setup is now entirely
modular; new font families can be added without a need for updating
the core setup files.
- Documentation updated and expanded to cover all the additions made
during the two-year lifecycle of VTeX 6.
We hope to update the Web site with the new images and current
information in the nearest future.